Monday, August 30, 2010

Emotional reasoning and should statements

Two more cognitive distortions are emotional reasoning and should statements. Here are some examples:
“I feel so guilty about being sick, I must deserve being ill.”
In emotional reasoning we take our feelings as facts. In the example above the person feels guilty so she rationalizes that she must deserve being sick. Often our feelings are intense, uncomfortable, and pervasive but feelings are not always facts. A more rational example might be:
“I feel so guilty about being sick but I know that I am doing the best that I can.”
An example of a should statement is:
“I should be able to keep up with other people my age in going to both school and work. “ In this situation the person is irrationally blaming herself for having limits due to a very real illness. A more rational statement would be:
“I will do the best I can and fit my lifestyle around what is realistic and healthy for my limits.”
I know so many of these seem like basic ways to tweak your thoughts but it’s amazing how these negative thoughts can pile up and affect our mood and health. I hope you’re following along, picking out your statements and finding ways you can be healthier and more realistic with yourself!
‘Til next time!

No comments: