Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How much do you want it?

I started to write this geared towards other mental health professionals and marketing but then I realized...this topic is applicable to EVERYONE. Read on for more info.
When I was little my mom had a friend named Thelma. She was so funny and great with kids. Sometimes when I would ask her for something (a drink, a snack, etc.) she would say "How much do you want it?" or "What's it worth to you?" I was reminded of this recently on an online forum for therapists where the topic was marketing. Some therapists were remarking they had been in practice for months with few or no clients. When asked their list of marketing activities seemed spotty at best. No websites, few regular networking or marketing activities. I wanted to ask them, "How much do you want a full private practice?"
When I went into practice I wanted to go full-time. I was told by MANY people, "Nobody can do that, you should have another part-time job, it takes YEARS to build up a client base." Within 6 months I was almost full. Within a year I was so busy I had to turn clients away. But I wanted to be a private practice therapist really bad. So in sheer desperation I did the right thing and worked REALLY HARD.
I wanted to work 40 hours per week so when I wasn't seeing clients or doing paperwork I was marketing and networking for the full 40 hours per week. No marketing job was too big or small. My website, advertisements, search engine optimization all got put up almost immediately and then re-worked based on what worked or didn't work. I contacted everyone in my palm pilot and email book and let them know I was accepting clients. A few weeks later I contacted them again. I met professionals that I found online that I thought would have businesses that complimented my practice and met them for lunch or coffee. I sent thank yous for referrals. I made up spreadsheets to track the success or failure of marketing efforts (postcards, articles written, Internet listings all got noted). I brainstormed new marketing projects and started at the top and worked my way through them one by one. A few months later I noticed my 40 hours was filled with clients and not marketing activities. I was on my way.
So what does this have to do with the average person? Do you have a goal that you find yourself dreaming about? Weight loss, running a marathon, fixing up your home, being a better parent or improving your marriage? Let me ask you how much do you want to achieve that goal and how much time are you willing to put into it? What are you willing to do to change your life for the better? The marathon runner doesn't get up one morning and just go run a race. They spend time every day running. If you want to improve your marriage, reduce anxiety, lose weight, whatever it takes effort on a daily basis.
I know this is a gross oversimplification but sometimes it's not a bad idea to just start changing your life by making a daily effort and see how far you can go.

1 comment:

Monica said...

As always, great words of wisdom!